Hoi, Ebisu HOI 恵比寿

I love Chinese food but I'm kind of Chuuka-phobic (Chuuka being what they call Japanese-style Chinese food in Japan). For the most part I find it kind of bland and gluggy - a world away from real Chinese food which can be some of the most exciting on earth.

So it was probably for that reason that although I had heard good things about Hoi, whenever it came to the crunch and I needed somewhere for dinner near my soon to be vacated Ebisu apartment (I will miss the neighborhood) I would cross the street to Marché aux Puces. Well I reckon Marché has got pretty same old same old so I recently forced myself to try Hoi.

I am well glad I did. This is Chuuka ryori the way it should be - bold, flavoursome and filling. I will let the pictures tell the story, but I should add it's great value for money - two full course meals and two beers for just under 9,000 yen.

Fried burdock - must be much healthier than french fries...

Assorted appetisers - jellyfish, eggplant and pork

Shark fin "Fuka Hire" soup

This fried prawn with chilli was delicious. The waiter advised me to eat the head which I did. It was yummy - I lost my prawn head virginity!!!

Delicious sweet and sour pork "Subuta". We were able to substitute the beef harami which was orginally part of the set...

Mapo dofu. This is spicy as hell - and yummy!

Some clear broth (great stock) and noodles to finish.

Anin dofu was just the way I like it - kind of you bite into it and the fluid feels like it's coming out.



Tel: 03-3446-5437

Comments

Anonymous said…
The mapo tofu dish was really spicy and oily. This reminded me of the authentic Sichuan food I once had in Beijing at the Spice Spirit restaurants http://www.spicespirit.com/

Popular Posts