Cuisine(s) Michel Troisgros, Shinjuku キュイジーヌ[s] ミッシェル・トロワグロ 新宿

It was with trembling anticipation that I looked forward to my dinner at Cuisine(s) Michel Troisgros. This is only the second 2 star Michelin establishment that I have been to in my life, the other being Bastide St Antoine in Grasse some years ago, and of that I have only faded memories of everything tasting of butter and truffles. One tries not to be overly sucked into the Michelin star system, but without doubt it adds to the expectations and the pleasure if those expectations are met.

First off, I feel that I must compliment the service at Troisgros, which is flawless. Unlike some establishments where I have complained that the abundance of waitstaff actually detracts from the service, Troisgros seems to use its staff well and so I won't whinge too much about the 10% service charge. I think it also helped that on the Tuesday evening in question the restaurant was not at all crowded.

After starting off with a couple of glasses of Taittinger Rose Champagne, my dining partner and I chose the larger set menu of the two on offer, costing 18,900 yen. This morning, as I write this, my overhanging tummy makes me think this was a Romanesque level of extravagance. Before we had even ordered, we were served a plate of amuses comprising of a thinly sliced pineapple on a thin biscuit, a china spoon with a cherry tomato in jelly and a small cheese puff. Once we had ordered the menu another amuse of two small pieces of mackerel sushi on a powerful acidic dashi jelly was served. This was followed by a beautifully presented plate consisting of a checkerboard of thin slices of scallop, truffle and basil on a thin melba toast. The combination of flavours worked pretty well. This was followed by an exquisitely presented plate of peppered cod on a sunburst of passionfruit coulis with little leaves of oregano scattered around the rim. The herb, passionfruit and fish worked well. This was followed by buttered lobster meat, including some claw meat with tapenade and some onion. This tasted alright, but I did wonder if it was fresh or not. Then came the main event - a candied pigeon breast with its little drumstick hiding under a slice of cooked lemon. This was served with an orange and pepper gravy. Hmm. Well I can't say I'm a fan of the pigeon, but this has nothing to do with the skill with which it was cooked - just a bit too gamey for me.

This was followed by the unexpected highlight of the evening - the cheeses. Around cheese time we looked around and noticed that there was nobody else left in the dining room. It was before ten o'clock so perhaps being a school night and all, the locals had all begun the long journey home from Nishi-Shinjuku. This gave us a good opportunity to catch up with the maitre d'hotel. He offered us extra special servings of the cheeses on offer which included a delicious brie sandwich of mascarpone and truffle. The was followed by a PRE-dessert of a small pea tart topped with strawberry, served with ice cream. The main dessert event was a airy chocolate cake (actually it wasn't really a cake but I think off-hand what to call it) served with ice cream, a slice of beetroot and some beetroot jelly. For me, the combination of flavours in this dish was the most interesting of the evening and I enjoyed it to the last crumb. This was followed by coffee and petit fours which featured a yummy mini beignet dusted with icing sugar.

As I look back on it I can't believe we managed to put all this food away! All in all, it was a great dinner and a lovely experience. I wasn't too enamoured of the half bottle of Louis Latour Puligny Montrachet (2004) that I ordered to go along with the dinner, but I am early on my discovery of good wine so I should not say too much. I will say though that I suspect lunch would be much better value for money than dinner so, if anything, I would recommend you try Troisgros at lunch. Once I have paid off the credit card this is something I intend to do myself.

ミッシェル・トロワグワ (新宿)

私は、「ミッシェル・トロワグワ」で食事することに心を躍らせていた。これまでに2回しかミッシェランガイドに載っている2つ星のレストランに行ったことがないからだ。数年前に行った、フランスはグラースにある「サント・アントワンヌ」が最初のレストランである。薄れてきた記憶をたどるとそのレストランでは、バターとトリュフの味しか覚えていない。ミッシェランガイドにあまり興味のない人でも、ガイドに載っているということだけで誰もがそのレストランに興味を持ち期待する。それらの期待が満たされると、またそこでの食事が楽しくなることは間違いないのではないだろうか。

冒頭で、「トロワグワ」のサービスは非常によいことを強調しておこう。典型的なよいレストランでの一番の問題は味ではなくスタッフであるが、この「トロワグワ」は非常にウェイターの人達がしっかりと教育されており10%のサービス料も気にならない。もちろん、この日は火曜日であまり忙しくなかったのか、サービスはとてもよかった。

最初にテタンジェ・ローズ・シャンパンを注文した私と食事仲間は、二人で18,900円のセットメニューを選んだ。翌朝、このブログを書いていた時、胃の中はあえて比喩するとロマネスクのような混乱で大変な量を食べたことを身で感じた。まずセットメニューの前には、ビスケットにスライスされたパイナップル、レンゲで食べるプチトマトのゼリーとチーズパフが用意されていた。セットメニューにもさらにアミューズがあり、サバの切り身が二つ、酸味の効いた山車ゼリーに乗せられていた。もう一つは、ホタテ貝のスライス、トリィフとバジルが碁盤の目のように几帳面に盛り付けられたメルバトーストであった。この組み合わせはとてもよく、たいへん美味しかった。コショウで味付けされた鱈(タラ)とクーリにパッション・フルーツをオレガノで囲い皿の上を魅了してくれていた。ハーブと魚料理に、パッション・フルーツとはなかなかの組み合わせだ。この後すぐにバターで仕立てたロブスターとそのはさみ身にタプナードとオニオンが添えられていた。うん~、味は悪くはないが鮮度はよいかどうかが少し気になった。さていよいよメインディッシュ。砂糖漬けのハトの肉は調理されたレモンでかぶせてありその小さな足が見え隠れしていた。また、ソースにはオレンジとコショウで作られたグレービーソースとよばれるものだった。正直、ハトは私の好みではない。もちろん、料理がまずいとかそういった類ではなく、単に私の気分ではなかった。

この後に誰が次に出てくるものを当てることができただろう。チーズである。経緯を少し話すと、この時間帯にもう周りのテーブルには誰もいなかった。時計を見ると午後10時。平時の夜なので、明日のことも考えてこのレストランがある西新宿から遠い家路についたのだろうかなどと考えていた。少し時間があったのか、これが良いことに料理長と話をする機会が出来た。話しているうちに、料理長は特別にチーズを用意してくれたという訳だ。それは、美味しいブリーチーズがマスカルポーネチーズとトリュフに挟まれるように並べられていた。この後、プレデザートなのか(!)すこし甘酸っぱいエンドウ豆とイチゴがアイスクリームと一緒にだされた。ようやくメニューのデザートに辿りいた私たちの前には、ふわふわのチョコケーキで用意された。(正しくはケーキではなかったがなんと説明していいか悩むところである)これにアイスクリームが付き、赤カブのゼリーが添えられていた。なんて珍しいものだろうというのが私の率直な意見で、この夜にだされた料理の中でもっとも堪能させてもらえた。最後の一口が名残惜しいくらいだった。最後にコーヒーとプティ・フール(フランスのお菓子)を頂いた。氷砂糖を流しかけたようなミニベニエ(ドーナツ)が私の選んだプティ・フールであった。

振り返るとよくこんなにたくさんの食事をたいらげたなと自分でも関心するが、よい食事とはこのことなのだろうか。また、食事と一緒に頂いた、2005年物のルイ・ラトゥール・ピュリニィ・モンラッシェに私は魅惑したが、ここではあえてワインへの勉強不足を理由にコメントを控えたい。金額に見合う価値があるかどうかは、ディナーよりはるかにランチの方だと私は思う。夕食の支払いをクレジットカードで済ませた私は、そんなことも忘れてここでの時間を最後まで楽しんだ。

http://www.cuisinesmicheltroisgros.com/en/
Tel: 03-3348-1234

Comments

Popular Posts